DIY Chalkboard Wood Slices

Thursday, September 8, 2016




This may possibly be one of the cheapest and easiest DIY's I've ever done. You have probably seen these in stores or on Etsy and Pinterest, but I am here to tell you, do not spend money on a pre-made one. It's way to easy and fun to make!

Supplies

  • Chalkboard Paint, paint on kind NOT spray. I used Valspar but any brand is fine!
  • Paint brushes or sponges. I prefer the little sponge sticks.
  • Pre-cut wood round of your choice. They make all different sizes and shapes. They are sold at Hobby Lobby and craft stores in the wood section and are not expensive, but if you have the means to cut them yourself, by all means do it. If you cut your own make sure you sand them before painting.
  • Chalk
  • Chalkboard markers. These are optional but you can find them in Hobby Lobby next to their chalkboards. 
  • A tarp or towel to put down so you don't stain your floor or counters. As you can see in the pictures I used my lovely designated paint towel.


So step one is pretty self explantatory. Paint! Make sure to stir before using to mix the chalkboard paint up so it's not watery and runny. Use the smoothest side of the slice. There is no right or wrong way to go about painting. I did two different slices and on one I left the edges exposed and on one I painted the entire surface. I ended up liking the one with edges untouched a lot better. It shows off the tree more. Let dry and then add another coat so that there are no see-through places. I let mine dry over night.

After your paint is completely dry you need to season your chalkboard. If you skip this step then whatever you first write on the board is going to stay there even after it's erased. Wood is porous so its important to "season" the board with a layer of chalk before writing anything. To do this you need regular chalk. Use the flat side like shown below and cover the entire slice in a layer of chalk vertically.  Then do the exact same going horizontally. You don't have to let this sit, but once again I let mine sit overnight just to be safe.


I got my chalk from the dollar section at Target.


Yay almost done! Wipe your chalk layer off with a damp cloth or papertowel. Let it dry and now you are ready to decorate!


I chose to use a chalkboard marker because it is so much easier to write with and fill in. Plus it stands out much more and they also make colored markers! I think these would be really cute to either prop up on a picture frame stand or hang from some burlap ribbon.


You can change it up at anytime with a damp paper towel. The regular chalk comes off easier so I would recommend that if you are doing a countdown or something that will be erased often.

 I hope you love this cute and simple DIY! Thank you for reading and feel free to share or ask questions. Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss a post. :)

XXXX,
Lindsey

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs