Let's Talk Lashes!

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Before I start this post I wanted to address a question I have been getting a lot lately. A lot of you have been asking how you can leave comments. Unfortunately, since Blogger is run by Google, you must be signed into a Gmail or a Google account to post a comment. If you don't have one, I still would love to get your questions, requests, or feedback! You can always message me from the email box on the side menu, or directly contact me at lindseybbyrnes@gmail.com I check my email daily. I would love to hear from you! With that said...

I love all makeup, but mascara is BY FAR my favorite. I have long lashes but the tips are blonde, and without mascara on I feel like a 12-year-old boy. Mascara was one of the first few items of makeup I was allowed to wear and it took me years to get the hang of. I ultimately developed the routine of doing my mascara first so that I could wipe off all the black dots on my eyelids before I did the rest of my face. After plenty of practice, mascara coated Q-tips, and stabs to the eye I finally think I have the hang of it. Being left-handed doesn't hurt either because I have found that being ambidextrous can make life a lot easier in the makeup world. I can pretty much do my lashes without even looking and sometimes even do them at the red light on the way to work. (Don't do this) My eyelashes are one of my most complimented features and I get asked if they're real all the time, to which I never cease to be surprised because in my opinion they don't look that long. I blame this on one of my best friends, Brittney, whose natural lashes are longer and thicker than any lash extensions or falsies I've ever seen. I'm also the girl who will, without any hesitation, ask any waitress, sales associate, or girl at the bar what mascara she is wearing, because wow I need it in my life.

I love how lash extensions look but I just can't get myself to try them. Not only do they damage your natural lashes, but the cost is definitely not in this girl's budget right now. If I was Kylie Jenner, you bet I would have the longest, thickest set glued on my eyes every month. Until that day comes (LOL) I will stick to doing it the old fashioned way. Falsies are amazing but they are just not realistic for my daily routine. I know so many girls who they look completely natural on, but then when I wear them I feel like I have this giant black line of plastic on my eyes. I also think they are the itchiest things in the world.

I have tried tons of mascaras and like to get a different one from the drugstore every time I run out to see how it works. Over the years I have acquired several favorites. Each with its own benefits. Some of these are drugstore and less than $10 and some are the type of makeup you only treat yourself to every so often or give as a gift. I hope you find one that you love!

Maybelline Lash Sensational-$6


This is the mascara I am currently using and have been for the past few months. I use blackest black. What I like about this mascara is that it's really buildable but doesn't get clumpy. Maybelline actually has a mascara out right now called Collassal Spider Effect. The whole purpose is to get clumpy spider leg looking lashes and I almost laughed out loud when I realized the ad was real. Who in the world wants their lashes to look like that?? I thought we were trying to stay away from clumps?? Maybe it's a hit on the runway, but to me it looks like you just started wearing makeup. Anyways, rant over, and back to Lash Sensational! I like to apply one layer per eye at a time and alternate between the two. I probably use about three to four layers of it on each eye. To some this may be excessive, but I like to stretch my lashes out as long, as wide and THICK as I can. This mascara never flakes and is pretty water resistant but also easy to remove. If you jump in the pool you aren't going to come out with raccoon eyes unless you start rubbing them like crazy. It's one of those mascaras that comes off in clumps when you remove it rather than just a black pool of despair. You still need makeup remover or soap, but it won't take much.

Wand: Thick, curved


Benefit They're Real-$24


Benefit is another brand near and dear to my heart. The quality of their products is so consistent and they always have the cutest packaging. Appropriately named, They're Real will give your lashes serious length. If thickness is more what you are looking for I would suggest layering another mascara over this one. I used to apply They're Real to lengthen and separate and then Covergirl Lash Blast to thicken.

Wand: Normal, straight


Younique Moodstruck 3D Fiberlashes-$29


If you are an eyelash extremist this is your new favorite mascara. 3D Fiberlashes are a two-step process. The first tube contains a mascara, or transplanting gel as they call it. You apply this first to shape your lashes like you would any regular mascara. The second tube contains tiny fibers. You simply use the wand and apply like any other mascara and the tiny fibers will attach to your lashes, sticking to the gel. You can be subtle or go as crazy as you want. I recommend waiting between coats if you want to apply more. Focus on the ends of your lashes to add length, you will literally see the tiny fibers extending your lashes. For a thick appearance focus on the roots. After, apply another coat of the gel to seal the fibers. Now this is not required, but I like to add one coat of normal mascara to top it all off. To me I feel like it really "seals" everything in, but who knows if that's actually true. This mascara duo has given me the biggest lashes out of any products I use. However, it has to be ordered online or through a rep. The main con I have with this lashes is the tiny fibers do tends to flake off and would start to irritate my eyes.

Wand: Gel brush is thin and straight, fiber brush is very tiny and straight


Covergirl Lash Blast-$7


I have been using Lash Blast since I was in high school. This stuff got me through cheer tryouts, prom, graduation you name it. And I still sometimes go back to it to this day. This is one mascara you can never go wrong with. It lengthens, it thickens, and it is buildable. But it can get clumpy if you aren't careful about really separating your lashes. Covergirl has since made many variations of Lash Blast since then but don't be fooled. I have seen no major differences with the spin offs. Stick to the original.

Wand: Large


Lancome Hypnose Drama-$28


Lancome has a large line of mascaras, but Hypnose Drama is by far my favorite of the bunch. This is one of the most flawless finishes I have gotten from a mascara. No clumps and it separates wonderfully. You get fullness, you get length, it is the whole package. Only flaw is it is a little on the pricier side. One thing that stands out to me about this product is that it doesn't seem to dry out as fast as a lot of mascaras do. I hate it when I neglect to close a tube all the way or for no reason at all, my mascara gets dry and sticky and totally gross. This tube lasts me so much longer than drugstore mascaras. It is very true in this case that you get what you pay for.

Wand:Thin and curvy


L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara-$8


Telescopic is one of those trendy name havin' and weird tube shaped mascaras that draws you in for those exact reasons. They say don't judge a book by it's cover, but I pretty much pick out 90% of my makeup because of the adorable packaging. Not sorry about it because it seems to work out! Usually. So this mascara has a super thin wand and the brush is very bendy. As in, when I applied it to my lashes it would move around and give into the pressure. For top lashes this doesn't work well. At least not for me. I need a solid brush to help give my roots a lift and that can strongly separate and widen my lashes. BUT, for bottom lashes this is the bomb. I know not everyone does their bottom lashes so this may not be of interest to you. But I personally feel naked if I don't do mine, like something is missing. When MySpace was still a thing, I used to creep on the prettiest blonde girl with the craziest long and black lashes against ice blue eyes and snow skin. She didn't wear any liner, just thick mascara coating her top and bottom lashes so that they were both unbelievably long and I thought she was the most gorgeous person I had ever seen. Every since then I have always loved the look of bottom lashes in mascara. Because of how thin this brush is, it picks up every tiny lash without touching your under-eye skin and smudging. The flexibility allows you to manipulate them however you want.

Wand: Thin and flexible


Maybelline Define-A-Lash Lengthening Mascara-$9


This is another great drugstore mascara for a simple lash. It covers all the basics, but the strongest selling point on this mascara is that it separates lashes really well. The product itself is really smooth so it is a good one to either throw on one coat and be done or really build layers without getting clumpy.

Wand: Normal size, slightly curved


L'Oreal Paris Double Extended Mascara -$9


This is another two-step mascara. First apply the white nourishing mascara, then the actual mascara. The second step will grab onto the first layer and help to lengthen your lashes. This is a great no-clump mascara. And my favorite part is kind of weird, but when you wash your face the mascara will come off in little "tubes" off each lash individually, instead of a black smudge. SO easy to remove!

Wand: Double wand, both normal sized


Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara-$23 


This is a great thickening and volumizing mascara. The wand is pretty big so be careful when applying not to make a mess all over your eyelids. This is a great buildable, and thick mascara but you really have to make sure you are not letting it get clumpy.

Wand: Large


Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multiplying Volume Mascara-$27.50


Estee Lauder is not a brand I purchase often, it's pricier than most. However, I have loved most things I tried from them. I got this mascara along with some lipsticks, eyeshadows, and creams in a gift bundle. One of my grandmas gives me these each Christmas. (It's awesome) Anyways, out of all the products this mascara stood out to me BY FAR. It has a nice thick forumula that really lifts and lengthens your lashes. This is a great mascara to layer over any other mascaras.


Clinique High Impact Mascara-$18


This is one of the items that always comes with the Clinique bonus gift, in a travel size. Clinique's High Impact mascara has a thinner formula and I like it for a base mascara or layering one. It is very black and coats every baby lash. It gives me great length, especially on those tiny bottom lashes.

Wand: Small to normal size, straight


Let me know what your favorite mascaras are or if you love any of these too!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs