Emergency Skincare

Tuesday, July 26, 2016



Hormones, stress, lack of sleep, a week at the beach; so many factors can play into what causes skin to act up. Sometimes my skin gets so dry that I don't even want to wear makeup and every so often I get a crazy break out all over. Most recently, I had a BAD breakout from a week at the beach. Makeup, sweat, and sunscreen were too much for my pores and I got lazy with my morning and nightly face routines. I would be so excited to hit the beach in the morning and so exhausted at night. I'm human, it happens. But I'm talking big, under the skin, bulging pimples all over my chin and cheeks. Not. Cute. I pulled out all of my tricks to clear it up and that got me inspired to write a post on all the skin products I rely on to keep my face in check. These are the big dogs I whip out when things get nasty. Some of them are on the pricier side, but I also don't use all of these products on a daily basis. Here is every skincare product I have found to be effective for me, and have deemed them so brilliant I thought the world needed to know of their greatness. PLUS find out how to get a FREE full-sized face wash from TULA!

For skincare beauty on a budget check out my Drugstore Dupes Part 2 post.

Products

For Breakouts

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser-$10
I talked about this face wash in my Drugstore Dupes Part 2 post. This is my every day wash. It is gentle on the skin, was recommended by my dermatologist, and is inexpensive.

TULA Facewash -$28
I was introduced to the brand TULA through my favorite blog, Chronicles of Frivolity.  
I had seen her post about them before, but was intimated by the prices. This time around they were offering a kit that gave you the full size face wash, hydrating day & night cream, and exfoliating mask at a great price. I figured now was the time to try it since it was such a good deal. The big feature about TULA is the products contain probiotic technology to help balance your skin. I didn't notice any changes at first but after using it consistently at night for three months, I noticed my skin was getting less oily throughout the day and I wasn't breaking out or getting as many blackheads. It's pricey but you only need a tiny drop to wash your face and the same bottle has lasted me so long. Now I use CeraVe in the morning and TULA at night.

I was going to save this post for later on, but I just found out that TULA is giving away a FREE full-sized facewash with any purchase. Just use the code "freshface" at checkout! I already ordered mine. If you haven't already, now is the perfect time to try their products without breaking the bank. Code expires after August 2nd!

Que Bella Tea Tree Mask-$2
Que Bella masks were also mentioned in my Drupstore Dupes Part 2 post, because they are amazing and only $2!!! This is my faovorite one to use when I feel like my pores really need a deep cleaning.  There is a slight tingle but no burning or discomfot and my face feels so clean after.

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion-$17
If you have ever used calamine lotion in all it's pink glory (chicken pox and chiggers come to mind) you may experience a little PTSD at the sight of this drying lotion. Made with salicylic acid and calamine, this is my favorite spot treatment. The solution will be separated with the pink calamine lotion settled at the bottom. But do not shake the bottle. With a Q-tip, dip down to the very bottom and pull it back out. You should get a nice pink covered Q-tip in return which you can then apply directly to your blemish. Don't double dip with the side of the Q-tip you used. Either use the clean side or get a new one. Do not rub the treatment in, simply apply directly, let dry, and then sleep with it over night. You may notice some flaking from it on your pillowcase, this is normal and won't stain. Rinse it off in the morning and you're good to go! This stuff works wonders, but be careful not to go overboard and dry out your skin. Remember, it is a spot treatment.

Rodan & Fields Unblemish Duo-$97
So this is, by far, the most expensive item I have linked. But I would not include it if I didn't think it was amazing. This product is actually step 3 out of the 4 step Unblemish line. It is a two-sided pump that has a cream one side and a gel on the other. My normal products were not completely kicking my breakout from the beach and I was getting really frustrated. I had the unblemish duo but had not given it a shot yet and this was the perfect opportunity to see if it really worked. Y'all I swear this stuff must be made of angel tears because my acne went away over night. It did burn my face a little when I applied it but nothing uncomfortable. I applied the duo (two pumps from each side, mixed together) and then my moisturizer and slept with it on. I used it the next three nights just to prevent anymore bad boys from popping up which I noticed did dry my face out a little. I have talked to other people who tried this product and didn't see any results, so it may not work for every skin type. However, my mom and I swear by it and I will keep it around for emergencies only.

For dryness

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask-$24
My skin can get really dry and irrated in winter or from acne medications. This mask does wonders! It has actual oatmeal in it so don't be put off by the chunks. Leave it on for the stated time and enjoy your baby-smooth skin after. I am a big fan of First Aid Beauty's products, this being my favorite and everything is sulfate and paraben free.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration -$30
Another product I love from First Aid Beauty is their ultra repair cream. This is the hardcore stuff, it's so thick and creamy. I use it on really dry and irritated skin and it works almost immediately. This is good for stressed dry skin, itchiness, and even Eczema. There is no oily residue, your skin will drink it in happily and the results will stay. This is not one of those lotions that you need to reapply an hour later when you feel your face cracking.

TULA Hydrating Day & Night Cream-$52
Another TULA product I love is their Hydrating cream. It can be used morning and night. It is a little on the thick side, and definitely on the pricier side. I only use it occasionally at night when I think my face needs an extra boost of moisture. Like the face wash, it contains probiotic technology to help balance out your skin. It also helps reduce fine-lines and wrinkles.

TULA Discovery Kit -$52 
I wanted to add this link for anyone who is interested in trying the TULA products but wary of the price. It's valued at $104 and sold for $52. For the price of one cream you can try four products. It comes in a little travel bag and includes:
  • Purifying Face Cleanser – 1 fl oz / 30 ml
  • Hydrating Day & Night Cream – 0.5 oz / 15 g
  • Illuminating Face Serum – 0.5 fl oz / 15 ml
  • Revitalizing Eye Cream – 0.25 oz / 7 g
I haven't tried the face serum or eye cream but the reviews are really good!

For Dullness

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads-$30
If you ever used Oxy or Stridex facial pads you remember them stinging with the fire of a thousand suns. WHY did we torture ourselves?? But back then it was all about toning and every day after sweaty athletics my friends and I would rub our poor faces raw with those things. First Aid Beauty's facial pads will not burn your skin or cause irritation. They will help to tone, exfoliate and brighten but without the harsh chemicals and pain. 

Boscia Luminizing Black Mask -$34
I tried this mask in a sample size I got in a box of Boscia products with my Sephora points. The mask is what stuck out to me most. This was my first time using a peel off mask so I was pretty nervous but my face remained intact after all was said and done. Warn your boyfriend or roommate or brother (or don't and give them a good scare) because you're going to look like an alien with this jet black mask on your face. Apply a thick layer to clean and dry skin, avoiding your hairline, eyebrows, eyes, and lips. Leave on for about 20 minutes or until its dry all over. Gently peel the mask off from the outer edges in a downward motion. Ok yeah right, no peel off mask comes off in one clean downward motion. HA. But peel that sucker off gently and then rinse/scrub off any remaining residue. Now stare at the mask and look at all the nasty gunk, dead skin, and tiny hairs that were ripped off of your face in awe. This mask promises to help with large pores, oiliness, dullness and uneven texture. It really feel like it cleaned and brightened my skin well. It says it is safe to use 1-2 times a week, but having sensitive skin I only use it about once a month. Remember to always spot test new products!

For Oil Control

Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Setting Spray-$30
I have always had pretty oily skin. When you live in South Texas do you really even have a choice? I would be blotting my face before lunch already and getting so frustrated when my makeup wiped off. Well fear no more grease sisters because this setting spray will change your life! Urban Decay makes three different versions, but the de-slick is m favorite. This spray combined with the foundation I linked in Drugstore Dupes is the perfect formula to keep my face matte all day long. The directions only instruct you to spray it on after, but here's my trick. After my moisturizer is dry and before applying my foundation I spray my face with the de-slick spray and let it dry. Apply your makeup as usual and then after you have finished give yourself another good spritz.I like to wait to do my mascara after I do my final spray so that it doesn't get on my upper lids. I am telling you this stuff keeps my oil at bay like no other product!


For Other Skin Conditions

Tea Tree Oil-$7-10
Pure tea tree oil is great for just about any skin irritation. Spot treat acne, ingrown hairs, keloids, fungal infections, bug bites, the list goes on. It is antibacterial and antifungal and very powerful. The key thing to know about Tea Tree Oil is to spot treat. Applying it to healthy skin can cause burning and irritation. Use sparingly.

Coconut Oil-$7
I raved about coconut oil in one of my previous posts. It is so great for your hair. But guess what it's great for skin as well. Who would of thought that a cooking oil, and a healthy one at that, could be used as a hair mask, as a moisturizer, to shave, to soothe irritated skin, and for oil pulling. Remember, you don't want to contaminate the jar, so always use a clean spoon or scoop to get out your product.

Tips

Wash Your Pillowcase 

You should be washing your sheets once a week at the minimum. But your pillow is where you rest your pretty little head which means it also soaks up all your sweat, oils, leftover makeup, hair product, drool, dust,  dead skin...you get the idea. Your pillow is a bacteria soaked sponge. If acne is one of your skin issues then start to change your pillowcase twice a week. Keep a spare set so you can always have one clean. I like to wash all my sheets every Sunday on hot water, with an unscented detergent, since I have sensitive skin. Make sure you are also washing your actual pillows at least three times a year and replacing them every two.

 

Keep Hair Out of Face

Be careful that your hair is not touching your face at night. A great way to do this that's good for both your hair and your skin is to put it in a simple braid at night. It keeps your hair's oils or products away from your face and prevents your hair from getting in a tangled hot mess. .

If you have issues with acne around your hairline or cheeks it is important to keep your hair out of your face in the daytime as well. Try putting it back or braiding bangs to the side if this is an issue for you, especially in situations where you will be sweating, like at the gym or outdoors.

Sanitize Your Cell

Think about how many places you take your phone. Your car, your desk, the sticky table at dinner, the public bathroom, your own bathroom! You also touch them 24/7 and if you are one of the few people who still make actual phone calls in 2016 then you put your cellphone on your face. Your iPhone is covered in germs and it's important to clean it from time to time. I wipe mine down with a Clorox disinfecting wipe every time I think about it. But I would at least do it once a week.

Don't Pick At Your Face

I often find myself resting my chin or my cheek in my hands when I'm thinking hard or reading. I have to snap out of it and watch that I don't make it a habit. It's so easy to pick at your face or scratch a pimple, or even just rest your head in your hands. But when you do this you are transferring all the germs and oils to your pores!

Watch What You Eat

If I am drinking a lot of sugary sodas, going too crazy with the Whataburger and ChikFilA, or eating a lot of dairy I will start to break out. Everything you eat is powering every part of your body, including your skin. Take that into consideration when you are eating. I am a fan of everything in moderation. Sometimes you just need a Coke or some waffle fries and that's ok! Just don't overdo it and pay attention to what you feed your body. And drink plenty of water!



3 comments :

  1. Great article Lindsey!! I always look forward to reading each new post! With the Unblemish spot treatment, $97 is actually retail, so when you purchase with the whole regimen as a preferred customer, you get it all 4 steps for $154, which lasts at least 60 days!! Keep writing, we love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs